By Kyle Lobner
Some things to read while leading the chase.
Day 30 of spring training 2013 will feature the year’s first sleep cycle-busting weekday late game, as the Brewers and Diamondbacks play at Salt River Fields in Scottsdale at 9:10 Central time tonight. The game will be televised on FS Wisconsin and is scheduled to feature Yovani Gallardo taking on Randall Delgado.
The Brewers will be looking to bounce back from an ugly loss yesterday as they got ambushed by the Rangers 12-3 in Surprise(!). Noah has the recap, if you missed it.
Yesterday’s game was over early as Mark Rogers’ spring struggles continued. He allowed six runs on six hits and four walks over just an inning and a third before being lifted, and less than half of his 20 pitches went for strikes. He’ll likely still get a few more opportunities this spring, but it’s entirely possible he’s already pitched his way off the roster.
Before you worry too much about yesterday’s results, though, I think it’s important to remember this: @Mass_Haas took a look through yesterday’s box score and counted appearances from just two Brewers (Logan Schafer and Tom Gorzelanny) who are guaranteed to be on the Opening Day roster.
Other notes from camp:
- Rickie Weeks was a late scratch from yesterday’s lineup, but Adam McCalvy says it’s only because he wanted to play in the night game tonight instead.
- Minor league coach Al LeBoeuf was back in Brewer camp for the first time this spring after having a cancerous growth removed from his hip last fall.
- Lance Roenicke got into yesterday’s game and had a late single.
- Todd Rosiak talked to John Axford about the brawl that marred the end of this weekend’s Canada/Mexico game.
- Nick Bucci’s disappointing spring continued yesterday as he was optioned to minor league camp. He was removed from Canada’s WBC roster with what was believed to be a minor arm issue and has yet to pitch in a game this spring.
- He’s not injured, but Hunter Morris is also having a rough spring and Todd Rosiak talked to him about working through it.
- Adam McCalvy has a profile of reliever Donovan Hand, who is having a good spring but remains a long shot to make the roster.
- Bob Young of the Arizona Republic has the latest retelling of Bobby Crosby’s comeback story.
- ASU student Jason Galvin of the JS talked to Jim Henderson and Rickie Weeks about pregame routines and superstitions.
- Tom Pipines of Fox 6 has an interview with Scooter Gennett, if you can get past the rough intro. (h/t @Mass_Haas)
- ASU student Alexia Porto of the JS has photos of ASU students covering spring training for the JS.
Meanwhile in Miami, Ryan Braun had two hits and a walk and scored a pair of runs in Team USA’s 7-1 win over Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic. If they can win one of their next two games they’ll advance to the finals. Martin Maldonado and Puerto Rico, meanwhile,
Read Full Article at: Brew Crew Ball